Your Wealth, Health, And Lifestyle Newsletter

How To Beat Out-Of-State Residency Requirements For Cheaper College Tuition

It’s a fact of life that has been true ever since there have been colleges and universities… if you attend a state college or university, and you are not a legal resident of that state, you’re going to have to pay three to four times higher tuition than in-state residents pay.

What’s the reason for this? Well, state colleges receive most if not all of their budget from the actual state themselves. And the state gets that money from the taxes that it charges to its taxpaying residents. So basically the taxpayers of each state pay for, or subsidize if you like to think of it that way, a large part of your college tuition. Therefore if you don’t live in that state, you don’t pay taxes to that state, and you shouldn’t benefit by getting cheaper college tuition… at least that’s how the thinking goes.

But we don’t really care about all of that, do we? Nope. We just want to get that cheaper College tuition! You’ve come to the right place, because that’s exactly what I’m going to show you how to do in this article today.

The Supreme Court of the United States of America has ruled that state colleges can in fact charge nonresidents a higher rate of tuition but, those same students must be allowed the opportunity to change their residency to the state for which they are attending college in. After all, you’re going to be living there for four years so you should very well be allowed to become a resident!

Though it is possible to change your residency, the process is highly regulated and can be difficult, and it’s becoming more and more difficult as time goes on. Some states for instance, make you prove that you’re financially independent before they allow you to become a resident. How many college students are financially independent? Not many.

So basically, the requirements for residency change from state to state but most of them are similar. Usually you have to live in the state for a year, but sometimes only for six months. In almost all instances, the burden of proof rests squarely on the shoulders of the student, because most states figure that you are just there to get your education and leave again.

Here are some basic things that you will have to deal with, or questions you will have to ask when you go through this process. First, have you ever filed an income tax return in your new state? Are you financially independent, or do you rely on your parents for money? Do you have a drivers license registered in your new state? Have you held a job in your new state?

If you can answer yes to most of these questions, then you are well on your way to changing your residency status and therefore receiving college tuition from a state school at considerably lower costs…

You May Find These Links Interesting:

    No items matching your keywords were found.