Your Wealth, Health, And Lifestyle Newsletter
1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

Should You Submit Your Web Site to the Search Engines?

By: Jason Markum

Ah the eternal question in Internet Marketing! Should you submit your web site to the search engines? This debate has been raging hard for many a long years.

I get asked this question, I’d say, almost weekly. People hear so many conflicting accounts on this and there is much confusion even among some so-called experts! So today, and for all time, I am going to answer this question right here in this simple article.

Back in the day, when search engines were new and the technology unsure of itself (I am talking about around 1996 to 2002 or so) it was essentially important to submit your web site to the search engines.

Why? Because if you didn’t, you wouldn’t get indexed. The search engines didn’t do as good a job spidering new web sites (that is, FINDING new web sites) as they do today. It was far less scientific in those early days of the wild wild west of the new Internet.

Up sprang an entire industry of companies offering search engine submission services, and search engine submission software. I actually owned two of those companies, one that offered services, and one that built and sold one of the more popular search engine submission softwares of the day.

I tell you this so that you know exactly what I’m saying is true and how much money I am losing by saying it, therefore it must be true!

So here goes…today, it is absolutely not necessary to submit your web site to the search engines. So don’t go buy that service, and don’t go buy that software.

Why? Well, for several reasons. First, if your web site is a wordpress blog like SO MANY of the sites on the Internet today, then every time you make a post, your wordpress backend likely pings many places. If you have any sort of XML sitemap plugin installed, it will probably even contact the major search engines (ie Google, Yahoo, Bing) and tell them that your site has just published a new page.

So right off the bat, you are covered. But what if you don’t run wordpess? Will Google find you? Yes, just sign up for a free Google Webmaster Tools account. There you can instruct Google immediately that you have a new web site.

You can even upload your site map directly to google there. All totally free. It’s quick, it’s easy, it’s hassle free, and you don’t need to pay for expensive submission software to do it. Bing has a similar feature in its free Bing webmaster tools.

And these days, those are really the only search engines you have to worry about. Google has something like 65% of all search traffic, and Bing/Yahoo has close to 30%. Thats a combined search penetration of around 95%. ALL the other “search engines” only make up 5% of search volume, so don’t bother with them. Chances are they will find you anyway after Google lists your site.

So there you have it. That myth is finally laid to rest. You do not have to submit your web site to Google using expensive software or expensive services.

You May Find These Links Interesting:

    No items matching your keywords were found.